Heartfelt thanks goes to the co-chairs, Mary Pat Harnegie and Mary Schleicher, and the committees for all their hard work on the 2018 Annual Conference. A big thank you to all of the exhibitors and sponsors who attended and supported the conference.
On behalf of the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association, the Wisconsin Health Science Library Association and the Southeastern Wisconsin Health Sciences Libraries Consortium, we invite you to Milwaukee for next year’s Midwest Chapter/MLA 2019 annual meeting.
Our Sunday night social event will be dinner and exploration at the Harley Davidson Museum®, a Milwaukee icon. Discover the history of the motorcycle, hear the thunder of the different engines and take a selfie riding a HOG!
Connect to Milwaukee through our new streetcar, which will be free in 2019. Use it to travel from downtown to the lakefront. While in downtown Milwaukee, make stops at the Milwaukee Public Museum, the Milwaukee Art Museum, or take a stroll down the Milwaukee RiverWalk and say hi to the Bronze Fonz.
Collaborate on new and exciting ideas with your colleagues in a stellar conference experience. We are excited to announce that our keynote speaker is MK Czerwiec (Zurwick), RN, MA, aka Comic Nurse. She is the artist in residence at the Feinberg Northwestern School of Medicine in Chicago, Co-founder of graphicmedicine.org, and a leader in the field of connecting clinicians, patients, and practitioners through narrative medicine and telling their stories.
-Brenda Fay, 2019 Conference Co-Chair
It’s time to consider time allocation for the conference and we have three ideas for you to consider below:
- Do you want to chat with colleagues about Anything Goes, Budget Realities, or Organization Support for Doing & Publishing Research, and other topics? We hope to see you for the Jam Sessions taking place on Sunday, October 7th, from 12 – 1 pm. Click here for additional details, and a check out the list of all available jam session topics. Be sure to email Mary Miles (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any Jam Session related questions!
- A brisk walk is the perfect way to wake up and explore the city. Because Fall is here, reflective strips, vest, or a headlamp and comfortable shoes are great things to bring and wear during the Walk This Way sessions coordinated by Mary Miles and Marilia Antunez. Explore three different routes, starting promptly at 6:05 am, on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning. The hospitality and registration table will have printed maps of the scheduled routes available for perusing.
- We are seeking official MLA Bloggers and Photographers for the conference. If you have not blogged previously but you are willing to try, let us know by completing this form .
We are excited to have you join us in Cleveland for the 2018 Midwest Chapter Shake, Rattle, and Roll Conference.
See you in a few weeks!
Your 2018 Midwest Conference Publicity Committee
This is your friendly reminder to register by Midnight EDT on Friday, September 21st, in order to get the Early Bird Registration rate. Also – the conference room hotel rates (Saturday and Sunday) expire at midnight on the 21st of September as well. More information about both lodging and registration are available here.
The Midwest Chapter/MLA board seeks your feedback on our redesigned logo. Please review the three potential logo designs are below and then go to our online survey to rank the logos in your preferred order. Thanks for your input!
The new logo will be selected in time for our meeting in Cleveland, OH. Shake, Rattle, and Roll!
Please respond by September 14th.
Midwest Chapter MLA 2017 Fundraiser – Support the Midwest Chapter MLA Scholarships & Awards
The fundraiser this year is a silent auction and we need your help!
Are you creative and talented? Do you knit, crochet, quilt, make jewelry, or create other small beautiful objects? Do you know an author or an artist or a business person?
If so, consider donating a silent auction item or asking a business, author or artist to donate an auction item. AND bid on the silent auction items during the upcoming 2017 Midwest Chapter/MLA annual conference!
Silent auction donation parameters:
• High quality and easily packable
• Register your commitment
• Send photo of item by September 15, 2017 or sooner
• Silent auction coordinators reserve the right to select the final items for the silent auction
• Donated item must be at the conference – bring the item with you or ask a colleague to bring it
If you ask a business, author, or artist for a silent auction donation:
• Let us know that you’re willing to ask
• We will supply an information kit (coming soon)
• Provide a photo of the item by September 15, 2017 or sooner
A great big ‘Thank You’ to the creative and talented members who have already stepped up and volunteered to donate a silent auction item! We will share photos and more information as we get closer to the conference.
Together we can make this scholarship fundraiser a great success!
We look forward to hearing from you.
Edith Starbuck (email@example.com) and Nicole Theis-Mahon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017 Silent Auction Fundraiser Co-chairs
Are you a library science student? Are you interested in medical libraries?
Would you like to attend the Midwest Chapter Medical Library Association’s Annual Meeting in Ypsilanti, MI on October 13-16, 2017?
Apply for the Midwest MLA Student Annual Meeting Grant for FREE conference registration and $500 in expenses.
There are 2 grants available – so tell your friends to apply too!
For an application and more information, see the attachments to this email or visit the Midwest Chapter’s Awards page at http://midwestmla.org/committees/awards/
The DEADLINE TO APPLY is May 26, 2017.
Completed applications can be sent to:
Nicole Theis-Mahon (mailto:email@example.com)
Chair, Awards and Scholarships Committee, Midwest Chapter/MLA
Already thinking about Midwest/MLA ’17? Check out the information below and start planning now!
Please save the dates of October 13 – 16, 2017, for the Joint Conference of the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association (MLA) and the Michigan Health Sciences Libraries Association (MHSLA)!
This conference, being held in picturesque Ypsilanti, MI, at the Ann Arbor Marriot at Eagle Crest, offers numerous learning and networking opportunities, including MLA CE courses, poster presentations, special events, and a keynote address by Curt Guyette, an award-winning investigative journalist for the ACLU Michigan.
To learn more, please visit the conference website at: http://midwestmla.org/conference2017 Also get the latest updates by following MHSLA on Twitter @MHSLANews
The Midwest Chapter/MLA supports the Medical Library Association’s statement affirming its core values including the reliance on scientific evidence, advancement of evidence-based practice, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.