MIDWEST CHAPTER

MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
FALL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 5, 1999
GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN

Present at meeting (voting members identified by asterisk):
*Sandra Martin – PresidentKaren Graves - Archives
*Ellen Nagle – President – electJim Lander - Audit
*Patricia Redman – Past PresidentPhyllis Nathan - Awards
*Vicki Killion – TreasurerSusan Hill – Government Relations
*Pamela Bradigan – SecretaryCarole Gilbert - Parliamentarian
*Gerald Dujsik – Membership SecretaryDeborah Sobczak - Publications
*Mary Bayorgeon – Rep-at-largeDoreen Bradley – 1999 Annual Meeting Program Coord.
*Rick Brewer – Rep-at-largeBarbarie Hill and Leslie Schick – 2000 Annual Meeting Co-Coord.
*Billie Broaddus – Rep-at-largeKaren Hanus – 2001 Annual Meeting Program Coord.
*Larry Ellis – Rep-at-large
*Doreen Roberts – Rep-at-large
*Karen Tubolino – Rep-at-large
*Pamela Elwell – MLA Chapter Council Representative

  1. CALL TO ORDER – Sandra Martin
  2. Martin called the meeting to order at 1:15 p.m. and asked those attending to introduce themselves.

  3. REVIEW OF AGENDA – Sandra Martin
  4. Martin reviewed the agenda and reported dinner was being served at 5:30.

  5. PARLIAMENTARIAN’S REPORT – Carole Gilbert
  6. Gilbert reported there was a quorum present at the meeting and reminded the group of the voting members.

  7. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF SPRING BOARD MEETING – Pam Bradigan
  8. The minutes of the March 9, 1999 Spring Board Meeting in Chicago, Illinois were approved.

  9. OFFICERS’ REPORT
    1. Past President – Pat Redman
    2. Written report submitted.

       

      Redman asked that if there are any problems with the certificates she made please

      contact her.

      Redman reported on AMECHII (Access Michigan Electronic Community Health Information Initiative) a proposal which is being planned to provide high quality health care information to people in Michigan.

    3. President – Sandra Martin
    4. Written report submitted.

    5. President Elect – Ellen Nagle
    6. Written report submitted.

    7. Treasurer – Vicki Killion
    8. Written report submitted.

      The organization is doing well financially. There was over ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) income to the Chapter from the joint meeting in Lexington. Traditionally joint meetings do better fiscally speaking, and at this particular meeting some of the expenses were "written off" by the service providers.

      The Board approved placing five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) from the profits of the Lexington meeting in the Chapter’s Business Reserve Fund.

      Next year’s Finance Committee will be asked to make a recommendation at the Spring Meeting on where to invest the Chapter’s money. Killion reported that some Chapters have invested in a conservative mutual fund.

    9. Secretary – Pamela Bradigan
    10. Written report submitted.

    11. Membership Secretary – Gerald Dujsik
    12. Written report submitted.

      Dujsik reported that he will conduct a "drawing" for one free MLA membership at the Business Meeting.

      Dujsik will generate a list of former members who did not renew and send these to the Representatives-at-large.

      The Board agreed that a new membership directory should be created.

    13. REPRESENATIVES-AT-LARGE
      1. Mary Bayorgeon
      2. Written report submitted.

      3. Rick Brewer
      4. Brewer reported that Ellis will be turning over the Representative’s Handbook so that it will be kept up-to-date. A new initiative in Kentucky is the Kentucky Commonwealth Virtual University which includes the Kentucky Commonwealth Virtual Library. The Web addresses follow: www.kcvu.org and www.kcvl.org.

      5. Karen Dahlen
      6. No report.

      7. Kellie Kaneshiro
      8. Written report submitted.

      9. Doreen Roberts
      10. Written report submitted.

      11. Karen Tubolino
      12. Written report submitted.

        Tubolino explained that the Michigan Health Sciences Library Association cosponsored the current meeting and she welcomed the Board to Grand Rapids. Tubolino reported that on September 17 and 18, librarians meet in Michigan to study statewide networking.

      13. Larry Ellis
      14. Ellis will distribute a copy of the Rep-At-Large Handbook to each Representative. Ellis has been encouraging public librarians who provide consumer health reference service to join the organization.

      15. Susan London
      16. No report.

      17. Billie Broaddus

      Written report submitted.

    14. MLA CHAPTER COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVE – Pamela Elwell
    15. Written report submitted.

      At the Business Meeting Elwell will encourage all members to consider submitting applications to serve on a MLA Committee. Elwell suggested and the Board agreed, that the Board establish a tradition of moving the MLA Chapter Council Alternate (who has just completed a three year term) to the position of MLA Chapter Council Representative. This will create a stronger Midwest Chapter "presence." In order to begin this tradition, Martin will inform the Nominating Committee of this decision and ask the Committee to proceed with this approach.

    16. PARLIAMENTARIAN – Carole Gilbert

    Gilbert reviewed the Roberts Rules of Order in preparation for the meeting.

  10. REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES
    1. ARCHIVES – Karen Graves
    2. Written report submitted.

    3. AUDIT – Jim Lander
    4. Written Report Submitted

    5. AWARDS – Phyllis Nathan
    6. Written report submitted.

      The Board approved a change to expand the group of individuals who may apply for a scholarship. New librarians to the field and library science students were the original groups eligible to apply, and now member librarians who have never attended a Midwest Chapter conference are eligible to apply for the scholarship.

      The Board agreed that future scholarship awards will be in the amount of five hundred dollars ($500.00) each and at every Fall Board meeting the Board will determine if the budget supports one or two awards for the next year.

    7. EDUCATION – Sheryl R. Stevens
    8. No report.

    9. FINANCE – Vicki Killion
    10. Committee’s written report included in Treasurer’s report.

    11. GOVERNMENT RELATIONS – Susan Hill
    12. Written report submitted.

      Hill reported that the President-elect needs to identify a new Government Relations Committee Chair.

    13. MEMBERSHIP – Gerald Dujsik
    14. Written report submitted.

    15. NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS – Lila Pedersen
    16. Written report submitted.

      In order to avoid the problems of unusable ballots, Elwell will review the Chapter’s ballot procedures at the Chapter Business meeting. Additionally, the Board asked the Nominations Committee to further highlight this procedure in a manner they think best.

    17. PROGRAM – Jane Bryant (resigned)
    18. Written report submitted.

      A new Chair needs to be appointed.

    19. PUBLICATIONS – Deborah Sobczak

Written report submitted.

Sobczak reminded the Board of the upcoming October 15 deadline for MIDLINE.

The Board thanked Sobczak for her work as Editor.

7. 0 REPORTS OF AD HOC COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES

    1. AHIP LIAISON – Faith Ross
    2. No report.

    3. ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS – Barbarie Hill

Written report submitted.

The Board approved the recommendations made in the Report concerning the role of the Chair and the web technician.

8.0. REPORTS OF PROGRAM COORDINATORS

    1. 1999 – Doreen Bradley
    2. Written report submitted.

    3. 2000 – Barbarie Hill and Leslie Schick
    4. Written report submitted.

    5. 2001 – Karen Hanus

Hanus distributed the 2001 meeting Planning survey and for everyone’s input.

9.0 OLD BUSINESS

    1. The Board thanked Martin for representing the Chapter well at the MLA Annual

Meeting.

10. NEW BUSINESS

    1. WEBFORIA – Sandra Martin
    2. The Board decided it is not interested in the offer from Webforia.

    3. MIDWEST/MIDCONTINENTAL 2004 JOINT MEETING – Sandra Martin
    4. The Board will ask the Program Committee to follow-up on the offer from the Midcontinental Chapter to host a joint meeting: Is there a more detailed proposal which includes a suggested location for the meeting?

      The locations for the 2002 and 2003 meetings have not yet been identified. Nagel will identify a new Program Chair and ask the Chair to solicit sites for 2002 and 2003.

    5. CHAPTER COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES – Pam Elwell
    6. This topic was discussed and decided earlier in the meeting. Refer to item 5.8 in these Minutes.

    7. LUCRETIA MCCLURE AWARD – Carole Gilbert
    8. The Board agreed to donate five hundred dollars ($500.00) to the MLA Lucretia McClure Award. The donation will come from the previous meeting continuing education profits.

      The Board agreed that they will consider asking the Finance Committee to get input from the membership on budget priorities.

    9. 2000 MLA POTENTIAL CANDIDATE FOR NOMINATING COMMITTEE – Sandra
    10. Martin

      The Board elected Julie Kelly to the position and Pat Pinkowski was elected the alternate.

    11. SCHOLARSHIPS – Phyllis Nathan
    12. The Board voted to offer one scholarship next year.

    13. RECGONITION TO COMMITTEE MEMBERS

In the future, the Committee Chairs will submit names of Committee members to the Past-President who will write letters of appreciation to all Committee members. This responsibility will be added to the Matrix.

    1. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS AND MOTIONS – Pam Bradigan
    2. Bradigan reviewed all the meeting action items.

    3. ANNOUNCEMENTS
    4. Killion will send out the "Gifts-In-Kind" form via email.

    5. NEXT MEETING – Ellen Nagel
    6. Nagel collected Board input on the Spring meeting date and location. March 24, 2000 in downtown Chicago is the preferred date and location.

    7. ADJOURNMENT – Sandra Martin

Martin adjourned the meeting.