MIDWEST CHAPTER / MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION

SPRING BOARD MEETING - MINUTES
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
MARCH 13, 1998



Present at meeting (voting members identified by asterisk):
*Pat Redman * President Karen Grave * Archives
*Sandra Martin * President-elect James Lander * Audit
*Carole Gilbert * Past President Phyllis Nathan * Awards
*Vicki Killion * Treasurer Jean Shumway * Government Relations
*Pamela Bradigan * Secretary Carole Francq Gall * Nominations
*Kellie Kaneshiro * Membership Sheryl Stevens * Publications
*Karen Tubolino * Rep-at-large Faith Ross * AHIP Liaison
*Peg Allen * Rep-at-large Logan Ludwig * Bylaws Revision
*Diane Ebro * Rep-at-large Jean Demas * Centennial
*Melanie Wilson * Rep-at-large Sandra Swanson * 1999 Program Coord.
*Larry Ellis * Rep-at-large
*Susan London * Rep-at-large
*Billie Broaddus * Rep-at-large


1. CALL TO ORDER * Pat Redman
Pat Redman, President, called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.


2. INTRODUCTIONS, OPENING REMARKS, REVIEW OF AGENDA * Pat Redman
Board members and committee members introduced themselves and the agenda was reviewed. Redman asked the members to review their name and address on the Roster she passed around. A revised an updated Roster will be sent out.


3. PARLIMENTARY PROCEDURES * Pat Redman
A quorum was present for the meeting and the voting status of those attending was established.


4. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF FALL BOARD MEETING * Pam Bradigan
The minutes of the Fall Board Meeting were reviewed and accepted with changes to items V.A.3 and VIII.B.4


The correct spelling in V.A.3. is Jane Ann Potee. In Section VIII.B.4. the first sentence was changed: Mixter moved the task force be made a standing committee at the next bylaws change.


5. OFFICERS* REPORT
5.1 PAST PRESIDENT * Carole Gilbert
Written report submitted.


Gilbert distributed the updated (February 1998) Board Responsibility and Procedures Matrix with a draft section on the Electronic Communications Committee which combines the responsibilities of the Chapter ListServ Administrator and the Chapter WebMaster.


Gilbert requested that any errors/changes in Matrix be sent to her.


In the future the travel policy will be attached to the Matrix and distributed to new Board members.


5.2 PRESIDENT * Pat Redman
Written report submitted.


Redman will forward Midwest Chapter 1998 objectives to the Medical Library Association


5.3 PRESIDENT-ELECT * Sandra Martin
Written report submitted.


5.4 TREASURER * Vicki Killion
Written report submitted.


Killion updated figures to March 9, 1998. The ending balance is $16,527.40. The ending balance includes a checking account balance of $1,669.01; the savings account balance of $9,193.92; the ED balance $4,664.47; and a $1,000 loan to the 1998 Program Committee.


Following the discussion on the importance of documenting *In-Kind Contributions,* the Board agreed that Tubolino will send a draft form to Killion who will adapt it for Chapter use. In the fall the Board will begin using the form to document the *In-Kind Contribution,* such as postage and travel.


5.5 SECRETARY * Pamela Bradigan
Written report submitted.


5.6 MEMBERSHIP * Kellie Kaneshiro
Written report submitted.


Kaneshiro updated her report to include a $882.62 expenditure for stationary.


Kaneshiro distributed packets of stationary and membership applications to each Board member.


Each Board member is encouraged to recruit new Chapter members.


5.7 REPRESENTATIVES-AT-LARGE


5.7.1 Margaret (Peg) Allen
Written report submitted.


5.7.2 Lila Pedersen
Written report submitted.


5.7.3 Diane Ebro
Written report submitted.


5.7.4 Carol Galganski
Written report submitted.


5.7.5 Melanie Wilson
Written report submitted.


5.7.6 Karen Tubolino
Written report submitted.


Tubolino wants to involve more Midwest Chapter members in a research project which will analyze service needs of remote ambulatory care centers. Contact her about participating in the project.


5.7.7 Larry Ellis


Ellis will send written report on mentoring to Gilbert.


5.7.8 Susan London
Written report submitted.


5.7.9 Billie Broaddus
Written report submitted.


5.8 MLA CHAPTER COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVE * Pamela Elwell


Faith Ross, MLA Chapter Council Alternate, reported for Elwell. MLA is seeking input on the future direction for professional development and credentialing. Ross will forward information on the topic to the Midwest Chapter listserv.


5.9 MLA NOMINATING COMMITTEE CANDIDATE


The vote was moved to later in the meeting (Agenda Item 6.8.).


6. REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES


6.1 ARCHIVES COMMITTEE * Karen Graves
Written report submitted


Graves clarified that the Committee is responsible for paper materials and not the electronic.


Graves will distribute a list of what each Board member needs to archive. Gilbert will then add this responsibility to the Matrix to eliminate the duplicate copies which have been sent to the Committee.


Redman will ask Hill, Chair of the Electronic Communications Committee, to address the issue of archiving the Chapter ListServ and suggest she serve as an ex-officio member of the Archives Committee.


6.2 AUDIT COMMITTEE * James Lander
Written report submitted.


6.3 AWARD COMMITTEE * Phyllis Nathan


Nathan will make contact with appropriate individuals about the Chapters awards and scholarships.


6.4 EDUCATION COMMITTEE * Melinda Orebaugh
Written report submitted.


The Board asked Orebaugh to contact MLA to determine the current method of listing/advertising courses and instructors in the Midwest Chapter.


6.5 FINANCE COMMITTEE * Vicki Killion
Written report submitted. (Agenda Item 5.4.2.)


Gilbert moved that the proposed budget be tabled until discussion of the travel policy.
Ludwig seconded. Motion passed.


6.6 GOVERNMENT RELATIONS * Jean Shumway
Written report submitted.


Two changes were made in the written report: Mary Griswold is no longer the Michigan Coordinator and Shumway*s meeting with the GMR staff will take place in the near future and did not occur on March 12, 1998 due to schedule conflicts.


Shumway reported that Marianne Puckett, MLA Governmental Relations Committee, Vice-chair, will speak at the Annual meeting on how to get involved with government relations issues. The meeting will be open to all.


Shumway will contact Jean Sayre at GMR Office and MLA about the proposed SERHOLD changes and distribute the information to the Chapter ListServ. Shumway will contact GMR staff to identify what is the preferred method for giving input on Pub Med.


Shumway will convey relevant information to the MIDLINE editor.


6.7 MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE * Kellie Kaneshiro
Written report submitted.


Kaneshiro will assist at the MLA Annual Meeting New Members reception and she will also attend the Roundtable on Membership.


The Committee will be a *sounding board* for the proposed new Midwest Chapter directory.


6.8 NOMINATIONS * Carole Francq Gall


Gall requested that the names of possible Board candidates be forwarded to her.


Gall conducted the election for the potential candidate for MLA Nominating Committee. Jean Sayre was elected as the potential candidate and Michele Klein is the alternate.


6.9 PROGRAM * Lila Pedersen
Written report submitted.


Redman will request a copy of Pederson*s Fall 1997 Business Meeting minutes.


6.10 PUBLICATIONS * Sheryl Stevens


Stevens will ask Hill, Chair of Electronic Communications Committee, to whom copies of MIDLINE should be sent for placement on Chapter*s Web.


The Board suggested several possible topics for a future of MIDLINE: continuing education, government relations, and awards.


7. REPORTS OF AD HOC COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES


7.1 AHIP LIAISON * Faith Ross


Ross will send a message to members, on the ListServ explaining her role as AHIP Liaison.


7.2 ANNUAL MEETING SCHOLARSHIP
Written report submitted.


7.3 BYLAWS REVISION * Logan Ludwig
Written report submitted.
Ludwig recommended the Bylaws Committee be disband since it had completed its work. Gilbert moved to accept the motion to disband the Committee and thanked the Committee for a job well done. Motion passed.


7.4 CENTENNIAL * Jean Demas
Written report submitted.


7.5 ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS * Barbarie Hill
Written report submitted.


8. REPORTS OF PROGRAM COORDINATORS


8.1 1997 * Nancy O*Brien


Lander distributed an abbreviated written report to the Board summarizing the 1997 Annual meeting. The full report will be sent to the Archives.


Redman thanked all who worked hard to make the 1997 Annual Meeting successful.


8.2 1998 * Jane Bryant
Written report submitted.


Redman noted the next Midwest Chapter Board Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, October 10, 1998 in Lexington, Kentucky. This will be a joint meeting with the Southern Chapter. The Business Meeting is scheduled on Monday, October 12 as a breakfast meeting.


The deadline for contributed papers has been extended to April 1, 1998.


8.3 1999 * Sandra Swanson


Swanson reported that a contract had been signed with the conference site in downtown Grand Rapids. Swanson applied to the Michigan Health Sciences Library Association Board for a $1,000.00 donation for the 1999 meeting.


Board members should forward keynote speaker ideas to Swanson.


8.4 2000 * Barbarie Hill
Written report submitted.


9. OLD BUSINESS


9.1 Board Travel Policy
Current written policy submitted.


The Travel/Reimbursement Policy will be reviewed by an ad hoc committee: Vicki Killion, Chair; Billie Broaddus; James Lander; and Sandra Martin. The current policy is expensive to maintain and it is not compatible with the MLA policy.


Based upon the decision for an ad hoc committee study the Travel/Reimbursement Policy, Gilbert moved to approve the previously discussed budget. (Agenda Item 5.4.2) Ebro seconded. Motion passed.


9.2 CHAPTER SUPPORT OF HEALTHWEB * Pat Redman
Written alternatives submitted.


Board recommended that HealthWeb exhibit at the Lexington meeting as the 1997 award winner. The idea is to have each award winner exhibit at the following Annual Meeting. Redman will contact Bryant about this exhibit if HealthWeb agrees to this idea.


9.3 INFORMATION TRANSFER AMONG OFFICERS


The Matrix is an excellent tool to use in passing information to new Board members.
Each position on the Board may want to develop a manual if it has not already been done.


Ellis will compile a Representative-At-Large manual.


9.4 MENTORING


The Mentoring Task Force has disbanded and the Mentoring CE scheduled for 1996 meeting did not take place due to insufficient registration.


An alternative to consider might be the *Exchange for a Day Peer-Assisted Learning* opportunity that Ross distributed to the Board. The program has MLA approval.


Ross will contact Mary Howery about the program and encourage her to write an article for MIDLINE and submit an abstract for the Annual Meeting


10. NEW BUSINESS


10.1 WISCONSIN TO HOST 2001 CONFERENCE


Ellis moved to accept the offer from Wisconsin to host the 2001 Annual Meeting.
Ludwig seconded. Motion passed. The meeting will take place in Milwaukee area.


10.2 MLA BIRTHDAY CARD


Board recommended that the Centennial Committee decide what to do about the MLA birthday card. The Board prefers a card which can be placed on an easel and the Board is flexible on unique presentation styles and the concept of a supplementary electronic card.


10.3 MLA MEMBERSHIP RECRUITMENT PROGRAM


The MLA pilot Chapter-based Incentive Membership Recruitment Program runs through May 1998 and provides monetary donations to the Chapter for new MLA members recruited by a Chapter member.


10.4 REALITY CHECK DISCUSSION ON LISTSERV


The Board discussed the members* interest in distance CE. Redman will ask Orebaugh, Chair, Education Committee, to develop a survey on what type of education is needed and in what format and to also update the Board on what are MLA*s current and future plans with regard to continuing education and professional development.


10.5 COMBINE CHAPTER AND GMR LISTSERVS


The Board discussed the proposal. Gilbert recommended that the listserv not be combined. Motion seconded and passed.


10.6 MLA CHAPTER COUNCIL ROUNDTABLE LUNCH


Redman requested volunteers to attend the Chapter Council Roundtables at MLA. The following individual volunteered: Broaddus * Annual Meeting Planning; Martin * Chairs, Incoming Chairs; Killion * Finance; Shumway * Government Relations; Ross * Leadership Development; Kaneshiro * Membership; Tubolino * Research; Redman * Networking and Collaboration. Redman will ask the Chairs of the following Chapter Committees to send a Roundtable representative: Centennial, Electronic Communications, and Education.


11. ACTION ITEMS AND MOTIONS REVIEWED


Bradigan reviewed the action items and motions.


12. NEXT MEETING


Next meeting is Saturday, October 10, 1998 in Lexington, Kentucky.


13. ADJOURNMENT


Redman adjourned the meetings at 3:55 p.m.










Corrected and approved 10/10/98